May Day Sunshine

Wednesday 1st May, 2013

Beautiful sunshine at last! Spent the morning outside, before I'd even showered, just making the most of the blue skies and the warm spring sunshine - so lacking for so long.

I planted the rest of my plants picked up from the garden centre for my alpine border a couple of weeks ago - Aubretia, Campanula, Primula, Narcissus tete-a-tete, pulsatilla, hellebores, saxifrage, wallflowers and columbines. It was a joy to place them in the soft, dark, crumbly loam soil which Ian, my new gardening help, had worked so hard on, clearing infestations of grass and the ever-present ground elder, to provide a lovely new environment for me to be creative with.

The sheep and lambs sat, strangely silent, in the field opposite while the birds filled the air with song and the drill of a distant woodpecker drifted over the valley.

The spirit of place was overwhelming, and contentment easily achieved. The gift of life is truly a blessing on days such as these and one to store in the memory for those times when the storm clouds gather and all seems dark and turbulent.

Comments

Popular Posts