Snowdrop Story

 
 
This is the story of Galanthus nivalis, known to most, quite simply, as The Snowdrop. It could not be a more accurate name to describe the delicate white flowers which bow their heads any time from January and, due to the prolific nature of their self-propagating habits, soon decorate the dull winter ground like patches of melting snow. They bring light to the still dark days of January and February and are a humble prologue to the gaudier bursting forth of spring a few warmer weeks later.   
 
I took the following photos during February half term last year while I was visiting Hever Castle (home of Anne Boleyn) in Sussex with my family. Hever boasts a beautiful and informative 'Snowdrop Trail' at this time of year and I thought I would share it with you....
 
 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 







So there we are, that was what I learnt about snowdrops at Hever Castle last year.

Meanwhile, if you live anywhere near me here in the north west of England, I would direct you to the Snowdrop Walks at Rode Hall near Congleton in Cheshire. I haven't been for a few years but, to whet your appetite, here are some pictures from when  I was last there:





 
 
And finally, some quick snapshots taken in my own garden yesterday morning while there was a much-needed burst of sun:
 










 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts